(1970-1990) After 10 wonderful years in Peru, in 1970 The Smiths came to Matamoros and began the Peoples’ Baptist Church and the Good Samaritan Mexican Baptist Institute. Brother Bob soon began six other churches in surrounding colonias. The attendance soared to nearly 1500 to become at that time the largest Baptist church in Mexico. Before Bob and Betty sue went to Moctezuma over 300 Pastors graduated from the Institute. Many ministry outreaches including a rescue mission (founded 1974), youth camps, jail ministries were established in Matamoros. While training at the Institute, future Pastors were given bicycles and Gospel literature to weekly distribute door to door. This resulted in new churches (over 60) started in the greater Matamoros area. Such practical training led to the successful establishment of hundreds of churches throughout Mexico and even other countries.

 
MATAMOROS, MEXICO